Welcome To Savi Savi Nenapu

Naveen Chinthakaaya

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Satellite, Short Film, Review And Interview



I don't feel like I can add any more than what is said below without giving too much of the film away. Just let it suffice to know that if you have the opportunity of seeing Satellite, do so.

I saw Satelliteat the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Micro Short.

Synopsis

A girl meets her unusual neighbor and discovers that home is not only a place but a state of being.

Asher Jelensky took some time away from directing to answer some question about inspiration, what is in the works, and other items of interest.

What was the inspiration for Satellite?

I grew up in suburbs outside of Philadelphia and was always fascinated by the sameness of the communities some of my friends lived in. Entire blocks with identical trim, mailboxes, SUVs and manicured lawns. Growing up there I couldn't wait to escape and I think that was where this feeling of the film came from. Both the spaceman and the girl have the same longing to be anywhere but there. I was curious as to adding an absurd or unusual element to the suburban landscape.

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

I've been working on a feature length documentary that's about the pursuit of the American dream and a band and a van (that I lived in for a month). It's definitely been an interesting way to see the country.

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

I came into filmmaking actually through art and photography and went to school for those things. I really liked working on my own and having total control over what I was making but as soon as I was exposed to working on set and collaborating with a bunch of other talented creative people I was hooked. My photography background oriented me more towards camera and visuals and have been making films ever since.

What would be your dream project?

Oooh that's so tough, I tend to like stories that focus on uncommon characters or marginalized folks that put a spotlight on issues/topics that don't always get examined. That's so vague, I'm not sure. I'll get back to you.

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

I love spending time in nature hiking, climbing and camping that sort of stuff. I like listening to audiobooks while I workout.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

I just saw Under the Silver Lake and thought it was amazing, was totally blown away by the story, performance, absurdity, the look, everything. It was cool to see a Noir detective kind of style brought to modern Los Angeles through the eyes of a hipster.

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

IMDb (link)

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).



No comments:

Post a Comment